“I am happiest when I am counseling my employer clients one‑on‑one, whether it is in fine tuning an employment agreement for a critical new hire or walking management through a difficult reduction-in-force. I am able to provide perspective and offer reassurance from my varied experiences to help my clients accomplish their goals.”
Jennifer counsels employers and human resource personnel in all aspects of the employment relationship, including hiring practices, wage and hour compliance, handbooks and personnel policies, family and medical leave and disability compliance, discrimination, harassment and retaliation investigations, discipline and performance management, employment contracts, severance and separation agreements, terminations and reductions-in-force, restrictive covenants, and confidentiality agreements. Jennifer has represented clients in employment disputes before administrative agencies, including the Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities and the Connecticut Department of Labor.
Jennifer also has broad experience in representing businesses in all manner of contractual arrangements and transactional matters. Jennifer regularly counsels business owners in matters involving formation, management and governance issues, mergers and acquisitions and financings. Jennifer also frequently advises medical spas regarding formation and regulatory compliance issues unique to such businesses.
Prior to joining Brenner, Saltzman & Wallman LLP, Jennifer served as law clerk to Justice Joette Katz, formerly of the Connecticut Supreme Court, and practiced in Boston at Foley Hoag LLP. Jennifer received her B.A. (1990), summa cum laude, from Boston College and her J.D. (1993), cum laude, from Boston College Law School, where she was elected to the Order of the Coif. Jennifer is a member of the Connecticut and Massachusetts Bars.
- Assisted physicians in separating from their existing practice. Representation involved settlement of issues under existing shareholder agreements and employment agreements, formation of a new business entity and preparation of new governance documents and new contractual arrangements, including review and negotiation of leases and financing agreements.
- Helped a physician and advanced practice nurse practitioner become free of contractual commitments with their long term employer in order to start a new medical practice with two other physicians. Guided newly-formed practice through all stages of formation, including negotiation of lease for built-out space and financing documents in challenging lending climate.
- Negotiated a settlement and separation agreement on behalf of a not‑for‑profit with its founding Executive Director who left under difficult circumstances; advised same entity in connection with its hiring of a replacement, including negotiation of a new employment agreement to better protect the organization’s interests.
- Counseled long‑time manufacturing employer through a reduction‑in‑force involving several long term employees. Later assisted same employer in negotiating an amicable and graceful exit for its long‑term general manager.
- Negotiated settlement between two estates involving millions of dollars of life insurance under several policies.